Skip to main content
Language Translation
Language Translation requires Additional Cookies enabled


NHS 111 can help with several concerns including getting help for symptoms or an injury, dental help, mental health help, a prescription, or medicines information, and help with an existing medical condition.

If you are ill or injured and you don’t know where to turn, make 111 your first port of call. For adults and children aged over 5, NHS 111 online is usually quicker to get the help you need. For children aged under 5, you should call 111 by telephone.

111 operators are trained to assess and direct you to the most appropriate local service. 

Depending on what you need, you might be advised to:

  • Call 999 or go to A&E in an emergency
  • Go to an urgent treatment centre
  • See an evening and weekend GP (out-of-hours GP)
  • Book a callback from a nurse
  • Get urgent specialist support, for dental or mental health problems
  • Contact your own GP surgery
  • See a pharmacist for help with a minor illness
  • Look after yourself safely at home

There are also other ways to contact 111 if needed, for example if you have a hearing problem or need help in another language. Find out more here.

111 online cannot issue fit notes or make or cancel appointments for you in other parts of the NHS. Also, please bear in mind that 111 might not be the most appropriate service to help with complex needs caused by an existing health condition.