Coventry & Warwickshire Personalisation programme
Making it personal for our population
Personalised care is a whole system approach enabling services across health, social care, public health and community to be linked together around the individual. It’s about asking patients "What matters to you?" rather than "What's the matter with you?"
Personalised Care is central to our System aspirations to achieve a new integrated service model for our local population in which people have more options, better support, and properly joined-up care at the right time and in the right care setting. Personalisation is also a means to focus on reducing health inequalities and address the wider determinants of health, ensuring our most disadvantaged communities get the support and assistance they need to reduce the gap in life choices and resulting health outcomes.
It is important because a one-size-fits-all health and care system simply cannot meet the increasing complexity of people’s needs - and Personalised Care is proven to be central to improving outcomes for patients, getting them the help they really need, and ultimately reducing health inequalities and demand on services. Specific benefits of personalised care include better adherence to medical advice – since the patient was involved in the decision – and increased patient and clinician satisfaction. There is a growing body of evidence to show the positive impact of personalised care on patients and health and care professionals.
Shared decision making conversations are appropriate to everyone. Following the Montgomery Judgement, shared decision making conversations are a legal requirement and are appropriate in almost every situation, such as:
• In primary, secondary and specialist medical care.
• Where there is more than one evidence-based option.
• When the evidence is unclear and patient preferences become a key part of the decision making process.
• In any case where there is more than one reasonable course of action and the decision involves trade-offs e.g. length of life vs quality of life.
• In any decision-making situation that is not immediately life threatening e.g. changes in existing health condition, a new health condition, changes to medication etc.
The NHS Long Term Plan states that people will get more control over their own health, and more personalised care when they need it. They will access personalised care through six key components:
- Patient choice.
- Choosing the right treatment for the person through shared decision making.
- Supported self-management and self-care.
- Social prescribing and community-based support.
- Personalised care and support planning.
- Personal health budgets and integrated personal budgets.
On these pages, you will find a wealth of information on each of these components, to support the development of personalised care in your professional practice and that of your team and wider organisation. This includes links to online training, self-development materials, and further reading. The Programme Team can also help you and your team with bespoke development and training, and with support to embed personalisation as business as usual.
Coventry & Warwickshire ICS is committed to delivering Personalised Care across its services and pathways, working to embed the different components of Personalised Care, training our workforce, and working with our patients and population so they feel supported.
- Find out more about the Long Term Plan
- Find out more about what the Programme Team can do for you
- Find out more about Coventry & Warwickshire’s Personalisation Strategy
- Where is your service and organisation now? Find out with Coventry & Warwickshire's Personalisation Maturity Framework.
How to contact the C&W Personalisation Programme team:
To reach us, please email: email@example.com or fill in the contact form.
Jenni Northcote, Programme SRO
Karen Higgins, Programme Manager
Laura Quirke, Programme Project Manager
Kanika Khillan, Programme Support Officer
|Comprehensive Model Factsheet||Personalised Care||March 2023||Download|
|Coventry and Warwickshire Personalisation Strategy||Personalised Care, Strategies, reports and publications||March 2023||Download|
|Personalised Care Factsheet||Personalised Care||March 2023||Download|
|The Evidence for Personalised Care||Personalised Care||March 2023||Download|
|Universal Personalised Care Implementing the Comprehensive Model NHSE 2019||Personalised Care||March 2023||Download|